The Beauty Benefits of Bathing in Tea

Have you ever loved a food or drink so much that you wish you could bathe in it?

Bathing in Tea

I’m a huge fan of tea: the immune boost, the antioxidants, the warm fuzzy feeling of a hot mug on a cold night. I think my ultimate evening consists of curling up on the couch with a cup of tea and a box of cookies for dunking. In short, I truly do love tea so much that I could bathe in it…and last year, I did.

The time: early spring. The location: Lennox Head, Australia. I had the amazing opportunity to visit my sister at her work abroad location there and her camp was located just steps away from Lake Ainsworth, a freshwater lake made entirely out of tea.

Surrounded by tea trees, Lake Ainsworth’s waters absorb tannins from surrounding tree roots and fallen tea leaves, transforming the waters into a deep, dark brew. The locals believe that the water has healing properties and that a quick swim can do wonders for the skin. Personally, though my skin did feel a bit softer that day, it’s my mind that has never felt more at peace than while floating in a bath of tea.

Want to try it yourself?

If you can’t make the trip Down Under, don’t worry, just run yourself a hot bath, drop in several tea bags, lay back, and relax.

Feeling crafty?

You can also create your own concoction with loose tea leaves and dried flowers. Once it’s ready, wrap your personalized mixture in muslin or cheesecloth and you‘re ready for a long, relaxing steep.

Other drinks to soak in:

* Sake: A Geisha secret, pouring a cup full of sake into your tub is said to soften your skin and speed up your metabolism.
* Milk and Honey: Milk dissolved dead skin cells to make your skin baby soft, while honey has antibacterial properties to help heal wounds. It worked wonders for Cleopatra, so why not you?
* Red Wine: Teri Hatcher of Desperate Housewives breaks out the vino for her bath to make her skin lush and glowing…just don‘t use too much or you might stain your tub!

14 Comments on The Beauty Benefits of Bathing in Tea

1. rkinkoph
    03/25/2009 at 7:39 pm (6 years ago)

This is cool! I had never heard of tea… I did read a girl’s blog that told how to make a scrub from coffee and cinnamon. It’s supposed to get rid of cellulite and make your skin radiant.

2. wendyrgould
    03/25/2009 at 11:33 pm (6 years ago)

Tip: If you don’t have cheesecloth/muslin, I’ve found that pantyhose work very well! ^^*

3. wendy
    03/26/2009 at 1:32 am (6 years ago)

Haha, NP!
    Great article! I love tea!

4. Ashley
    03/29/2009 at 7:13 am (6 years ago)

I soooooo would love to do this tea bit right this second- except baby is sleeping and it’s 3am. I often wondered about doing this but thought maybe it was just weird of me to want to try. I do LOVE Epsom salt baths especially since being a mommy and having Fibromyalgia-I also love using FEW drops of tea tree oil in the tub, it smells so soothing (although an acquired smell).
    I am thinking the tea and other dried goodies and oils tied pretty in muslin may just be this years homemade Christmas gifts for my ladies :wink: .

5. Courtney
    09/09/2009 at 6:38 pm (5 years ago)

Is there any way that this will stain my skin? I’m interested in trying this but i would rather not come out looking like i have a spray tan two shades too dark! lol Plus idk if i can do this right now because i’m pregnant and i’m not sure if the caffine from the tea will be too much.

6. michelleshea
    09/09/2009 at 6:46 pm (5 years ago)

Courtney,

I have had no problems at all with stained skin during tea baths and I am quite pale myself. What I would be most concerned about is perhaps your tub. I’ve never had tub stains be a problem either, but then again my last tub was blue so it wouldn’t have been that noticeable. If you’re really concerned about staining, I would suggest a green or herbal tea bath rather than black tea.

As for the pregnancy/caffeine question, I would think you are safe, but I am not a doctor [nor have I ever been pregnant] so perhaps you should check with your physician first.

Happy soaking! :)

michelle

7. Diana
    09/14/2009 at 3:34 pm (5 years ago)

Too bad I can’t take a bath; I only take a shower every day..:(

8. walter e.
    04/19/2010 at 12:55 am (5 years ago)

it sounds cool and realaxing, if i only have bags do you recomend a certain brand?

9. michelle
    04/19/2010 at 12:40 pm (5 years ago)

any brand will do, darling. however, if you’re talking the small single-use bags, the kind that are triangular in shape [as opposed to flat and square] usually steep easier.

10. Carolyn
    04/19/2010 at 1:42 pm (5 years ago)

This is a fun, easy, indulgent alternative (I LOVE tea!) that I never heard of. That Aussie lake sounds amazing.

11. Froz3n
    02/15/2014 at 12:36 pm (9 months ago)

Well I think I found an affirmation from this site, I’ve been ‘accidentally’ doing a tea bath, when my auntie came from singapore she gave me a dried ‘pu er’ tea nugget the shape was like round plate, when I tried it doesn’t taste so good, then I accidentally throw the tea leaves into the lukewarm water for my bath, then the idea struck my mind that I can use that terribly tasted tea for my bath! eureka!! now I’m doing it frequently :D

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on The Beauty Benefits of Bathing in Tea