Remembering Rainbowlicious and 1990s Web Design

My beautiful, creative best friend and maid of honor happens to also be the queen bee of whimsy online in the late 90s. If you don’t remember her because you aren’t a computer geek artist, then you definately missed out on a piece of bubble gum ball history that you’ll never be able to get back. Because she was so often direct linked, she allowed no direct linking.. so her websites aren’t even on the wayback archive! I had to dig deep into the depths of cat*e//Miseducated rainbow, stuffed old skool folders. This was quite a treat of course because I am a nostalgia whore and cannot relish in the colorful creations that we once lived for enough. (don’t look in my closets, Rainbow Brite dolls are stuffed in there waiting to be loved)

Kimi, the girl who forever has my heart:

From the mouth of the horse of a different flavor comes some bits and pieces that were on her collective from waybackwhen complete with everything cute, sweet and colorfully perfect. Absolutely no one could

luna’s luna page

..my very first page, established in january 97, and to my knowledge is the very first sailormoon website made entirely by one of the feline persuasion, that of course being my very talented and MUCH*ly* loved luna daisy =)

not just a sailormoon site, luna’s page includes a cornucopia *hehe!* of kitty information, and tons of interactive activities ^_^ plus a good dose of moonkitty madness!

this page started out on geocities of course and remained there for over 2 years until rescued by the amazingly wonderful cheerbear*chibiness we all call coki!! =) coki has saved me from a ton of popup ads and headaches, and has become a wikked friend as well *waves!!*

i have the most fun with luna’s page and it really is my true love out of them all ^*^ i update it daily for the most part :) you can read more about luna’s page if you’d like to here (link closed).

Rainbowlicious

..this is my (kimikats!) personal page, one that i left neglected for ages and am finally getting around to revamping and resituating :) if you want to see just how messed up i am in the head, this is the perfect place to do just that! ^*^ being messed up in the head is a good thing by the way .. just so you know =)

most might be surprised to find out i’m not some 13 year old playing with mind expanding drugs but am actually in my mid 20′s, i was a preschool teacher at one time, and before that … well i’m not saying *lol* .. though above all, i’m just a twisted lil raver girl from los angeles :))

Diana’s Divine Designs

..my lil free graphics shop, consisting mostly of insane/neon/daisy/sanrio-ish backgrounds and also includes a ‘topsy turvey table tutorial’ :) started on easter day 99, for a couple of reasons; one being just to help out others and spread some of my trippy lil backgrounds around. ive never been sure why, but some people seem to like my loud graphics and the requests for a place like this was overwhelming, with sometimes over 10 mails a day asking for just such a thing!! and secondly, heck, it was easter!! and i simply didnt have any eggs to pass around ^_^

thank you for stopping by to peer into the world of luna*C! =) if anyone actually reads all this, i’ll be one happy kitten! =^*^= and if not, ah well bonnebell, i had fun writing it =) call me easily amused but hey… and if your amused just as easily, then you’ll REALLY enjoy the pages in luna*C to a tee!!
*giggles on her caffeine high and waves!*

oldlayout2a

Quilting Bee

Everyone’s favorite community in the old skool web days! Swapping patched with friends to build a colorful and unique quilt you were to display on your website in a super special space!

quilt

XOXO for Kimi

Simply post the link to an image/graphic or message you’d like Kimi to have or that you made inspired by her to your reply and submit! It’s that easy! .. and soon we’ll be gazing upon your delicious art~ the very best, most eye-popping gifts will be specially displayed here for the kitty kat queen herself!

ALL gif graphics used in the article are (c) Kimi/kimikat, keep stickypaws clean.

15 Comments on Remembering Rainbowlicious and 1990s Web Design

1. Lindsay
    08/11/2009 at 2:48 pm (5 years ago)

Great post!

<3 Lindsay

2. chelsea
    08/16/2009 at 7:57 am (5 years ago)

I can’t believe these little gif’s still exist, it’s making my evening :)

The internet is so ‘cool’ now. I was talking to my husband tonight about how I’ve been doing this following of internet cuteness since 1997, so to read this little article brings back many fond memories. I miss the days of crazy rainbow cute pages and bobbing animations. And endless aim conversations of smiles like this :9

Thanks kimi (and amber!) for being a smiley part of my crappy teenage years, hee. I have no art but I hope this note suffices. Also be pleased to know that I am still very fond of doing a colorful shadow around lettering (which you taught me) yay!

xo

3. (Other) Chelsea
    09/26/2009 at 11:38 pm (5 years ago)

I really hope my little blog could be as loved. However, I guess I really don’t have a talent to keep everyone interested.

But I try.

4. amberrenee
    09/28/2009 at 10:01 pm (5 years ago)

Aw, you have a great blog. Keep it up!

5. ashreigh
    01/09/2010 at 11:55 pm (5 years ago)

wow. talk about a blast from the PAST. Jeez louise. I remember visiting this site, loverevolution (and whatever site mr. landerpants had before that), and Kitty’s Cafe every day when I was like 12 or 13. Come to thin k of it… it’s amazingly sad that I have lurked these people that long. lol. Living in KY has its downsides as far as actually making human connections with people. :smile: Good times. :|

6. elisha
    04/05/2010 at 7:56 pm (4 years ago)

holy crap i was such a big fan of hers!!!! big time! i wish i could go back and screencap everything because now i want to look at it all again :( i still have some of her original graphics from ddd :)

7. Jessica
    02/10/2011 at 11:14 pm (4 years ago)

*sigh* I was a HUGE fan. Kimi’s websites inspired me to get into webdesign, which I made a lot of life-long friends through. :) I have a bunch of old images of hers saved somewhere! Maybe I could dig them up sometime. <3 thanks for the post.

8. Ross
    05/30/2011 at 8:36 am (3 years ago)

Oh wow.. I was searching for her in a bout of late 90s internet nostalgia and found this. Do you know how to contact her? If so, give her my email address; we spoke a few times but I don’t know if she’d remember me.. and Kimikat, if you read this, hello! Hehe.

• Amber Renée
      05/30/2011 at 8:40 am (3 years ago)

Yes — we talk everyday! I’ll tell her. :)

9. Jodie
    12/13/2011 at 3:07 pm (3 years ago)

I’m with Ross– I was searching for her for nostalgic reasons as well! None of the images you posted showed up :( But this is an old entry. Like everyone on here has said though, they were the good old days. I learned a lot of HTML and design in the 90s because of everyone you mentioned. I definitely have fond memories of it all. Blast from the past for sure. Thank you for this post :) I wish I could find all of my old web sites– and theirs too. Too bad they’re long gone!

• Amber Renée
      12/18/2011 at 8:17 pm (3 years ago)

Awww, thanks so much for your message, Jodie! This is the whole reason I started my website originally — to reconnect with all of us ’90s webdesigners. I’ll fix the images immediately! It’s because I recently changed my blog links.. Doh!

• Jodie
        12/11/2012 at 9:48 am (2 years ago)

I just saw this! I LOVE the pics you posted. I can’t believe I remember them all. I wish I had my olddd computer because I’m sure it’s chock full of DDD backgrounds :)

• Amber Renée
          12/13/2012 at 1:36 pm (2 years ago)

Ahhh really? I feel the same way! My reeeeeally old computer is FULL of all of our old designs but it’s MIA! <3 XOXOXO Thanks for sharing in the delight of the oldschool web princess, Kimikat!

10. Aimee
    09/21/2012 at 11:36 pm (2 years ago)

This woman inspired me to unleash a creative outlet I never knew exisisted back in 1998. I miss these days. I want to go back. I also wish I could find all my friends that also did websites from back then. I can’t even remember their names. But photos I do and memories galore. It makes me so sad we all lost touch. Oh nostalgia.