Mise en Snap: The Virgin Suicides

Sofia Coppola’s The Virgin Suicides is a gorgeously dark movie that I just had to feature and study. As you can see from the screens, and might expect from a Sofia Coppola movie, it’s very lonely and feminine. The main characters are gorgeous girls who are isolated both because of their beauty and because of the recent suicide of their youngest sister. The film follows their lives as learned from boys in their class by reading Cecelia’s, the youngest sister’s, diary.

Aren’t the mise-en-scenes dreamy?

11 Comments on Mise en Snap: The Virgin Suicides

1. Carolyn
    05/11/2011 at 3:49 pm (4 years ago)

It was a fascinating story but so bleak. A perfect storm of people making bad decisions: from the psycho parents to overreaction on the part of depressed teenagers. Not a good use of “teamwork makes the dream work”. I don’t know if I could watch it a 3rd time. :-(

2. Amber Renée
    05/11/2011 at 4:24 pm (4 years ago)

Yeah.. it is pretty depressing.. :sad: ..but it’s so beautiful I just can’t help watch.

3. Erika Lee Sears
    05/12/2011 at 12:45 am (4 years ago)

I loved the book before the movie came out. There is something magical about the book and the movie. :)

4. Krystal/Village
    05/12/2011 at 10:52 am (4 years ago)

I love that movie, I remember watching it all the time in college!

5. Jessmarie
    05/12/2011 at 6:31 pm (4 years ago)

Love this movie. I watched this so much in high school that my mom actually got worried that I was considering suicide myself (I wasn’t). Talk about over-reaction! She doesn’t understand art, lol. I just couldn’t help but watch because the mise-en-scene is so gorgeous. Sofia Coppola really knows how to feed her viewers eye candy!
    Jessmarie recently blogged Flora

6. Naka
    05/14/2011 at 8:29 pm (4 years ago)

I haven’t watched thisbut now I want to! oh i rmeber how i had to write an essay on mise en scence for romea and julliet :(

XD

7. PinkBow
    05/15/2011 at 4:51 am (4 years ago)

one of my absolute favourite films. i love the world f sophia copolla

8. clarity
    05/28/2011 at 7:51 pm (3 years ago)

is amber renee your real name? this is a fav movie of mine. my ex looks like hartnet and i always wanted to be like kirsten.

9. Amber Renée
    05/28/2011 at 8:20 pm (3 years ago)

Yes Amber Renee is my real name. :) This is a favorite of mine also.. people used to tell me I looked like Kirsten Dunst but I don’t really see it.. I guess I aged out of it?