I have a small confession to make – When I arrive at my boyfriend’s house, my main priority is not a kiss and a cuddle with him. My main priority is his ginger cat, Greg. I will sit and question the household about Greg’s day. How is he coping with the heat? How much sleep has he had? And – most importantly – is he around for a cuddle? My boyfriend will sit in the wings, patiently waiting his turn.

I’ve not always been so generous with my feelings for cats. In fact, I used to hate them. They would stroll into our garden, stare at me, hiss and declare their hatred of me. Terrified, I would flee in hysterics. Convinced I was a dog in a former life, I accepted cats and I would never live happily together in this world. But this was before an old ginger cat called Sandy made an appearance in my home. Senile, narcissistic and solely focused around food, I realised that cats were actually incredibly comical. And that was the start of my love affair.

This love affair has slowly spiralled (some say into madness – I beg to differ.) I reckon I’ve come to the conclusion that cats and I understand each other very well: we both appreciate the wonders of comfort, the freedom of just doing what we fancy, when we fancy, and welcome cuddles. Cats truly are inspirational creatures. You could be having a bad day at work with someone shouting in your face and you could think “You know what? I have a cat at home that’s infinitely nicer than you, and softer to stroke.” They also offer a sympathetic ear to any of your problems (read: they don’t judge you as they don’t understand a word you say).

So I’m unashamedly a crazy cat lady in the making.  I’ve done a 180 degree turn. Cats make me incredibly happy, and I’m only slightly hesitant to admit they are often a lot less hassle than humans!

Let’s pass it on over to you – why do cats have a special place in your heart?

Mull it over whilst gazing into the eyes of Greg -

PinterestTumblrStumbleUponEmailShare

About Emily Ray

A History student and freelance writer based in London, with a love of bed, cats and cups of tea.

18 Thoughts on “Cats are a girl’s best friend

1. Angee Maree on 07/07/2011 at 12:20 pm said:

I think you mean 180 degree turn. If you did a 360 you’d still hate cats ’cause you’d be facing the same way still =P

cute article though ;-)

2. Angee Maree on 07/07/2011 at 2:10 pm said:

But im a dog lover!

3. Ahhh cute!!! I am a former cat hater too!

4. I looove cats. Always have. So cute, love their personalities.
    River Gibson recently blogged 101 in 1001 update :: July 2011

5. Emily Ray on 07/08/2011 at 5:50 pm said:

:mrgreen: Was just testing your maths, tee hee! x

6. I love kittys, i have four of them: Luna, Scarfy, Mystery and Raven. I have just been obsessed with cats since i was quite young. :mrgreen:
    Luna recently blogged Alternative Hair Color / Colorful Hair: Tips and More 2

7. Cats are fantastic. I really love them. in fact i have 3 persians at home. :P
    michelle recently blogged San Diego boutique hotels

8. Candi on 07/11/2011 at 10:42 am said:

;-) As a mommy of FOUR amazing and adorable kitties, I have to agree. My kitties are the loves of my life. My hubby, who hasnt always liked cats has grown fond of their funny and individual personalities. :mrgreen:

9. I love kitties too, so much! <3 :smile:
    Jessmarie recently blogged Inspiration Workshop #6: Pamper Yourself

10. You said it, cat’s are the best. Can’t wait to get home to my Maine Coons tonight!
    Diana recently blogged Reiki for Beginners

11. I’m a dog lover, too! ? I wanted to try owning a cat, but we have so many dogs at home! ;(
    arvee recently blogged Got a sweet tooth?

12. well, i really like them because they’re soo cute but also independed! so, you don’t have to pay attention to them all the time, as it happens with the dogs!!
    estella recently blogged The Ancient Times..A song

13. Nice pictures of your pet…I really like the site…Thanks for this post…
    charlotte recently blogged Chinaillon

14. Kamikaze Toast on 07/22/2011 at 7:50 am said:

;-) cats are awesome !!! Me and my boyfriend have two cat: one named ATTILA and the other named GIM. The hate each other. But cats are so sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :razz:

15. katy Gell on 08/11/2011 at 4:14 pm said:

If i get a cat and call it Augustus can he be gregs friend and have hat parties? :) x

16. katy Gell on 08/11/2011 at 4:15 pm said:

Holy moly i just realized the smileys are CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) x

17. tarzan on 08/20/2011 at 11:55 am said:

love it. how can you not like cats, took me a while but i wouldn’t be without mine. Well done Em. Nice pick, bless