Let’s Make & Receive Surprise Balls!

Remember my post about surprise balls? How I promised to post a tutorial soon and a feature on the ball I recieved? Well this is that tutorial and feature! I even got the chance to host the surprise ball swap this time around which has made me so inspired and excited! I just love swapping these things! If you’d like to buy one I also have them in my shop! I told you I was surprise ball crazy!

surprise ball

You’ll Need

• crepe paper streamers (in a couple of colors!)
  • 10-20 candy and small gifts
  • a plastic capsule or small box
  • a sticker or label
surprise ball prizes
surprise ball prizes

Collecting the gifts is almost as much fun as making the ball! If you’re making it for someone be sure to include things they like. Some ideas of what to include: candy, small toys, jewelry, stickers, memo pads, erasers, rubber stamps, ink pads, glitter, craft supplies, tea, keychains, beads, charms, small tubes of glitter glue, etc.

surprise ball

Start with your plastic capsule or small box and fill it with one of the gifts. Then wrap the crepe paper around it until it’s covered.

surprise ball

Next add another surprise and wrap it up. Make sure you keep wrapping a bit after each gift so that they don’t fall out too fast!

surprise ball
surprise ball
surprise ball
surprise balls

Continue adding surprises and wrapping them up until the ball is finished then tape the end down and top with a cute sticker or label.

Now.. as if it wasn’t enough fun to *make* these I actually received one as well (from the original swap). I was so excited about opening this rainbow-covered ball that I giggled the whole time as candy and kawaii gifts fell into my lap. This ball was extremely large and took quite a long time to unwrap! My partner is a surprise ball pro! Thank you so much!

surprise ball received
surprise ball received
surprise ball received
surprise ball received

16 Comments on Let’s Make & Receive Surprise Balls!

1. Gorillahearted
    11/12/2011 at 11:25 pm (3 years ago)

awww this is so cute I am so excited to start swapping! thank you for showing everyone this! I think everyone needs a little bit of stuff like this in their lives :)

2. Kreaftykj
    11/13/2011 at 9:40 am (3 years ago)

Thanks so much in sharing this with us! I always wondered how to make a surprise ball, Where do you find all the cute kawaii items that you add to the ball?

3. Amber Renée
    11/13/2011 at 1:42 pm (3 years ago)

I think a great place to look would be party favors section, candy aisle, the craft supply section — I found a lot of my jewelry on eBay and made the rest.

4. mpontalba
    11/13/2011 at 9:39 pm (3 years ago)

Hey, that’s the surprise ball I got in the swap :)! Great pictures and thanks for the lovely little surprises!

5. Jessica
    11/17/2011 at 4:16 pm (3 years ago)

OMG!!! I totally love this idea. :???: International. I can’t do any international right now with my budget. But it sounds like you love these so maybe in the future.

• Amber Renée
      11/17/2011 at 4:36 pm (3 years ago)

Aww, that’s too bad! I’ve been getting a lot of comments about making it international so I decided to make a USA only swap also!!

6. Penny
    11/17/2011 at 7:33 pm (3 years ago)

I love this idea so much! I am going to do a couple up for christmas gifts for a few people I think will find this extremely amusing! :D

7. Piimanyx
    11/18/2011 at 2:21 am (3 years ago)

Ho good Idea ! Very fun swap ! I like it! The two swaps are beautifull ! I like every thing ! If there are again one swap like this, maybe I’ll want participate ? !

8. Wijkhuijs
    11/18/2011 at 4:27 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for sharing this!
    It looks lovely!

Hugs Priscilla

9. Niza
    11/18/2011 at 9:53 am (3 years ago)

This is so original! You do have some awesome stuff here
    I saved your blog in my bookmarks so I can come back to check
    all this awesome ideas!
    If it wasn’t because I’m so far away I’ll take your whole
    store with me :P

10. Glory
    11/19/2011 at 4:37 pm (3 years ago)

I’m already signed up for this swap, I can’t wait. I’ve never made or received a surprise ball. Looks like fun!

11. Iggygirl
    11/22/2011 at 1:30 pm (3 years ago)

Love your blog! your giving me a lot of new gift ideas.

12. pocci
    11/26/2011 at 4:24 am (3 years ago)

What an awesome idea! I read about surprise balls on swap-bot and wondered, what they looked like. I want to try it myself as soon as I get a chance.

13. Chaarlie
    11/26/2011 at 7:49 am (3 years ago)

This is such a neat tutorial and one that i deffinitly needed as well! That camera is adorable. ^^ Your blog is amazing and its really giving me tons of new ideas for my no work days ^^

14. Lola
    12/10/2011 at 4:19 am (3 years ago)

Neat, especially if you reuse the paper for something else later. -hollychihuahua

15. Maggie
    12/16/2011 at 10:30 am (3 years ago)

This is so cute! I love surprise balls and always wondered how they were made. Thank for the tutorial! Wish I had seen your swap earlier so that I could participate. Maybe the next one ;p