Let’s Start Decopatching!

That’s right, I said decoPATCH not decoupage! If you’d like to know the difference between the two, this article is a great place to start.

I decided for this article I would need something around the house that needed a makeover so I found a natural wooden frame, a table worn on the top and an empty cocoa tin.

If you want you can use actual decopatch paper, glue and sealant but I did this with things I had around the house.

You Need

• Mod Podge (glossy)
  • Paper scraps
  • Something to decopatch

decopatch scraps

First I collected torn pieces of paper that sort of followed a theme. My theme was kitschy-sweet as usual. Too excited but nervous to start with the table I decided to start with some junk I had saved, a cigarette box and an ATC-sized (2.5 x 3.5 inches) card. I used the same thin paper for each that I had torn into small and medium-sized pieces. Then I covered my box/card in Mod Podge (glue) (I know there’s decopatch glue and varnish but I’m a Mod Podge addict.) and smoothed down the strips of paper. Last I covered the paper in a layer of Mod Podge (varnish) and let it dry. How easy was that?

Next it was time to try my luck on the tin. I tore out assorted pieces of paper this time and followed the same instructions above. Now I have a kawaii place to keep tea, coffee and small things.

tea tin

Stay tuned for next time when I’ll be decopatching a frame and table with decopatch paper from France.

12 Comments on Let’s Start Decopatching!

1. Gorillahearted
    11/08/2011 at 4:49 pm (3 years ago)

this inspired me so much! when i was younger I tore apart a bible and covered my desk! This is so much more refreshing! the cutesy pinks and polkadots are so miseducated and kawaii!!!
    Gorillahearted recently blogged I Monster Day dream in blue

2. Sarah Coller
    11/09/2011 at 12:02 am (3 years ago)

That’s adorable! :) I like the idea of covering your table in French paper too. I saw a table once that had the top painted like the back of a vintage French postcard…with the original message painted on and everything—it was awesome. But I guess that really has nothing to do with decopatching now does it? :| I also like the comment from Gorillahearted about covering a table in pages from the Bible…I picked up one from a used book sale last month and it turns out it was from the 1880s! :) I wonder how Mod Podge would work on the thin pages of a Bible?? Hmmm….
    Sarah Coller recently blogged Top Secret Ancient Family Thanksgiving Recipe!! Date Nut Pudding

3. edmond0925
    11/10/2011 at 2:22 am (3 years ago)

That’s really great! I would love to try this out! Does it work well with an unartistic bloke like me?

4. kraftykj
    11/10/2011 at 10:11 pm (3 years ago)

This looks like a fun afternoon! I like the papers you picked out to use on your projects. Would you believe I bought my first bottle of modge podge today? I can’t wait to try it out on my art journal pages.

5. Jessica (J3ss1ca)
    11/11/2011 at 1:03 am (3 years ago)

First I have to tell you I love the way you have your site set-up. It’s different then any other site I’ve seen.

I love Mod Podge, it’s amazing what you can do with that stuff. I love the patch work on your can. The paper scraps colors are wonderful.

6. Piimanyx
    11/18/2011 at 2:19 am (3 years ago)

It’s so beautifull ! I love Mod Podge, (even I don’t know what is it xD) but the pack is so cute ! Unfortunatly we don’t find it in France ;-(
    Good job !

7. Wijkhuijs
    11/18/2011 at 4:28 am (3 years ago)

I use mode podge to!
    Love what you can do with it!

Hugs Priscilla
    (wijkhuijs)

8. Niza
    11/18/2011 at 9:41 am (3 years ago)

I loved this! Is so cute
    You seem to bea very colorful & artsy person & I love that!
    Have a wonderful day :smile:

9. Glory
    11/19/2011 at 4:41 pm (3 years ago)

That looks really cool. I’ve deco patched before… Only I didn’t know that’s what it was called. Hehe!

10. Anna
    11/29/2011 at 9:44 pm (3 years ago)

I am learning so much from your blog.

11. Kat_Finn
    02/04/2012 at 11:07 pm (3 years ago)

I’d love to get an ld and shabby bookcase or dresser and decopatch it! :mrgreen: