Vintage Pose, Boudoir and Bradley Dolls

The Debutarts

I’ve recently become a little obsessed with another type of doll. The vintage pose doll. I’ve been planning an article on them for awhile now but digging up information on them proves more difficult than digging up a beautiful doll at a swell bargain! One blogger writes, “Certainly, Bradley Dolls don’t have the stunning quality of Madame Alexander dolls or those dear Betsy McCalls, but they’ve got nostalgia in spades.” I have to agree with that, just one glance at that kitschy face and many are hooked!

These dolls, manufactured in Korea and Japan by Bradley in 1954 to 1984, were most popular in the 1970s. They were known as boudoir dolls most often although they were also known as stockinette dolls, pose dolls, cloth dolls, southern bell dolls and more. A small selection of these kind of dolls have the big eyes and craved-for kitschy appearance. Many more of the dolls made by Bradley had more delicate and realistic features according to a catalog I saw in another blog.

Lucky for us, in addition to the dolls with victorian fashion, Bradley also put out a line of mod cloth dolls in the 1960s. These dolls had cute, cropped haircuts, huge hair and the sweetest mini mod dresses and costumes.

I found my first pose doll years ago in a large thrift store. She is a bunny doll which I’ve found, upon searching online auctions, was another semi-common style of pose doll. She won me over with one look and I’ve been hooked ever since. You see I had been hoping to find a pose doll for ages after falling in love with both Ayumi Uyama’s and Boopsiedaisy’s work. More recently I’ve been ogling these dolls again and I’ve decided to buy a few more and even start a side project devoted to these girls!

Do you own or want to own any of these beautiful dolls? ;)

All of the photos seen here are by Boopsiedaisy and Ayumi Uyama.

AND it gets better. I happened to be surfing around Flickr, another obsession of mine, when I found out that Super*Junk actually makes and sells pose doll kits. Gasp. The day I have one in my grubby hands is the day I am a very, VERY happy girl.

17 Comments on Vintage Pose, Boudoir and Bradley Dolls

1. Annika
    12/07/2011 at 6:37 am (3 years ago)

Um.. where exactly do i buy them? is there like an online website?

• Amber Renée
      12/07/2011 at 10:52 am (3 years ago)

Try eBay, thrift stores, antique stores and of course Etsy!

2. Lola
    12/10/2011 at 4:15 am (3 years ago)

I had never heard of this type of doll. I guess they were the precursor to Blythe and Pullips? This was an interesting article. Thanks for sharing. -hollychihuahua

3. glenda
    12/11/2011 at 2:59 am (3 years ago)

I had these dolls when I was little and I still have 2, I bought mine at the op shop.,I love them.hugs glenda

4. Adorably Dead
    12/12/2011 at 2:32 am (3 years ago)

Definitely want the bunny doll. :grin:

And holy shniz kitty faces! :shock: :oops: :grin:

5. ilona
    12/14/2011 at 2:42 pm (3 years ago)

Ohh I think these dolls are so cute. I’m into asain ball jointed dolls myself and I love original and unique types of dolls. Thanks for posting! Ilona from swap bot.

6. Glory
    12/15/2011 at 12:31 am (3 years ago)

Oh my gosh I used to have a small collection of the Southern Belle dolls when I was a kid. What memories.

7. Maggie
    12/16/2011 at 10:34 am (3 years ago)

Aww the bunny doll is so cute! I love your blog a lot; you’ve got a new subscriber ^^

8. muriel
    12/24/2011 at 7:27 pm (3 years ago)

i like them too, i find them all the time at second hand stores in ensenada baja california.

9. Jessie
    06/21/2012 at 9:06 am (2 years ago)

These doll are adorable! No wonder you’re obsessed. My sister would love to have one like these. Better go out and find one. Great photos by the way!

10. Strawberry Anarchy
    08/31/2012 at 8:32 am (2 years ago)

Oh wow weird I was just checking out your sitre and sent you an email then came across these dolls, I found one in the charity shop last week it’s a music doll too and spins, here is the link… http://strawberryanarchy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/japanese-pose-dolls.html I am trying to keep clutter down in my house and as much as I love it, it needs to go! I have a few others from when my mum was young though, they are great dolls :)

11. Mae
    08/31/2012 at 10:17 pm (2 years ago)

My mother started buying me one of these dolls every year when we would go on vacation to Estes Park Colorado in the early 70’s. They were in a very chic high end gift shop as there were different makers of these types of dolls and therefore different “classes of quality with the Bradleys being the highest in class and quality. My mother would only get the true Bradley brand the most expensive one I had was one which was about 18 inches or so tall and had a beautiful gold, black and white hoop dress ut’s retail was $75.00 which in the early 70’s was an extreme amount of money. I would get them on my birthday but they were usually the smaller ones but the true Bradley being sold in the finer stores.In all I had about 10 of them by the late 70’s. And then in the 80’s having grown out of the doll faze gave them away to a relative. I had forgotten all about them and I just happen to see them on a website. I really wish I still had the one’s I received as a child they were exquisite!

12. OEESHIAH BAHSEENAMY
    11/04/2012 at 7:55 pm (2 years ago)

I HAD A PREGNANT BRADLEY.I HAVE TROUBLE FINDING ANOTHER ONE.

13. Brenda
    08/04/2013 at 4:03 pm (1 year ago)

I still have my collection of at least 10! My dad and I won them at the local fair. I have a ballerina one with her leg in the air (she always had to be supported) can’t find any like it online. So nice to find other collectors!

14. Horace Averette
    12/24/2013 at 11:25 am (12 months ago)

I have a 40 or50 year old Bradley doll I found in the closet. It has a Bradley label on it marked # 808. Could you give me an idea of its value or where I can sell it. Since I’m eighty years old I have very little use for a doll.

• Amber Renée
      12/27/2013 at 11:40 pm (12 months ago)

If it’s in good condition I’d pop it on eBay. You can actually look through “pose dolls” or “Bradley dolls” there and see if it looks similar to any of those for pricing information. They sell anywhere from 5-55 dollars most commonly. The mod dressed ones seem to sell for more.

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Vintage Pose, Boudoir and Bradley Dolls

1. […] Vintage Pose, Boudoir & Bradley Dolls | MiseducatedDec 6, 2011 … They were known as boudoir dolls most often although they were also known as … I guess they were the precursor to Blythe and Pullips? […]